329 Royal Street, New Orleans, LA 70130 504-525-2262 info@vintage329.com

Miriam Haskell

Born on July 1, 1899, in a small town on the Ohio River, Miriam Haskell studied for three years at Chicago University. Two years after moving to New York City, she opened a jewelry boutique in 1926 in the old McAlpin Hotel, and a second outlet within the year at West 57th Street. Frank Hess joined her business the same year. In the 1930s, the company relocated to 392 Fifth Avenue; their affordable art glass, strass, and gold-plate jewelry were popular throughout the Great Depression, and the company went on to open further boutiques in NYC as well as in Miami and London.
At the heart of most Miriam Haskell pieces is a filigree base made of stamped brass. These come from France, Germany, and the US. The filigrees are plated separately in signature Russian gold or a specialty finish, then assembled, and then hand embellished. Her vintage pieces can command high prices from collectors. Seldom signed before 1950, it was her brother Joseph Haskell who introduced the first regularly signed Miriam Haskell jewellery. Instead her pieces can typically be identified by an exuberant use of color, beadwork, strass, and wirework.

Showing 1–18 of 27 results